January 15, 2017

April Lilli Design Team: Mein Held.


This layout was greatly inspired by a layout from Jen Schow who is a guest designer for Cocoa Daisy this month. I loved the idea of making a grid design from journaling cards and having a flair in the middle. It took me a while to finally come up with this 8.5x11 layout and I had to waste a whole sheet of 12x12 paper to finally come to this solution. When I scraplift a layout or take a layout as inspiration I often just take one (or in this case two) ideas from the original and don't go back looking at the inspiration while working on my own layout. I believe that this approach helps me develop my own style.


As I wrote above, I fiddled with this layout for a long time and then when I compared the end result to Jen's layout, I found that I didn't deviate too far from it after all. The story is about another hat - I chuckled when I noticed that two of the five stories were about hats. Especially, considering the fact, that I didn't start wearing hats until I had kids. The title of the layout is "Mein Held" which translates to "my hero" and it talks about the story that my mom started selling this special crochet yarn (myboshi) in her store and made hats for all of her grandchildren for Christmas one year. The response to my question: "And where is my hat?" was a small package for my birthday in February. But the best part about the hat was that not my mom had crochet the hat for me but my dad!


I used four 3x4 journaling cards from the cutapart sheet for the background and then only added the exclusive heart flair to the middle. On the top right I added a little embellishment cluster made from the die cut set and another cutapart from the 6x6 paper pad. Then I sprinkled some enamel dots in groups of three on three places on the layout. I felt the layout needed some kind of border, so I took a brown pen and drew a line all around the edge. I added some zigzag lines in two places to mimic zigzag stitching and I really like how they turned out. Head over to the April Lilli shop to get this collection for 20% off.

No comments:

Post a Comment